Earlier this year, I read Jeff VanderMeer’s creepy and haunting Annihilation, about an expedition into a terrifying and mysterious wilderness known as Area X. Authority (kindle here) continues the story, but from the perspective of Control, a government official recently transferred to clean up the mess at the Southern Reach after the expedition in Annihilation.
Control dives in, but he is never sure of what he sees or hears at the Southern Reach. Its shifting hallways and antagonistic employees don’t provide much help or comfort. But Control latches on to one idea that could help him grasp this puzzle: Terroir.
Terroir indicates a sense of place, and how that place can influence and produce a certain product. Typically a term that refers to the climate and region of certain vintages of wine, Control uses it to analyze Area X.
Why is Area X the way that it is? What, even, is it? Who made it that way, and how?
There aren’t many answers yet, but Authority peels back a few layers of the puzzle. What’s underneath is raw and scary, and there’s no sign of what can heal it.
I am working on a project to sew some of my favorite quotes and images. You can see the other pieces of my embroidery project here:
- annihilation (embroidery no. 21)
- S. (embroidery no. 20)
- beyonce (embroidery nos. 18-19)
- goldie the gargoyle (embroidery no. 17)
- izabel from saga (embroidery no. 16)
- i am the one who knocks (embroidery no. 15)
- lying cat (embroidery no. 14)
- breaking bad (embroidery no. 13)
- God bless you but (embroidery no. 12)
- valar morghulis (embroidery no. 11)
- chapter 19 (embroidery no. 10)
- i carry your heart with me (embroidery no. 9 and happy mother’s day)
- everyone was going (embroidery no. 8)
- see synonyms at monster (embroidery no. 7)
- oodles of charm (embroidery no. 6)
- embroidery display
- gibberish (embroidery no. 5)
- if you love me (embroidery no. 4)
- there are other worlds than these (embroidery no. 3)
- mischief managed (aka embroidery no. 2)
- favorite quote embroidery project
(I picked this book out on my own and was not being paid to write about it. But if you buy through my links, I’ll receive a little bit of money for it.)