It kills me when adorable things show up in comic books. Here I am, reading about a nightmare/King of Dreams/contract killers/reimagined biblical characters and WHAM, something cute drops in the frame.
I’ve been reading through The Sandman–the first issue is just a little younger than I am–and though it took me 25 years to catch on, I’m finally getting up to speed and loving every minute. Along with Death, one of the most fun characters I’ve ever met, I’ve also enjoyed spending time with Dream and his other siblings. And mixed in with the twisting, dark, interesting story lines are hilarious moments of fun. Like a super cute gargoyle called Goldie (aka Irving).
I’ve been thinking of a way to incorporate Sandman into my project of embroidering books and quotes that I enjoy, and Goldie is a perfect representation of what I love about this series: unexpected fun.
You can’t see dark without the light, or cruelty without kindness, and this epic storyline that takes us in and out of worlds and dreams is all the stronger by including some (adorable) levity.
As you can see on my to-read list, I’m just through volume 7, so if anything terrible happens to Goldie in volumes 8-10, don’t tell me.
I am working on a project to sew some of my favorite quotes and images from books. You can see the other pieces of my embroidery project here:
- izabel from saga (embroidery no. 16)
- i am the one who knocks (embroidery no. 15)
- lying cat (embroidery no. 14)
- breaking bad (embroidery no. 13)
- God bless you but (embroidery no. 12)
- valar morghulis (embroidery no. 11)
- chapter 19 (embroidery no. 10)
- i carry your heart with me (embroidery no. 9 and happy mother’s day)
- everyone was going (embroidery no. 8)
- see synonyms at monster (embroidery no. 7)
- oodles of charm (embroidery no. 6)
- embroidery display
- gibberish (embroidery no. 5)
- if you love me (embroidery no. 4)
- there are other worlds than these (embroidery no. 3)
- mischief managed (aka embroidery no. 2)
- favorite quote embroidery project
(I bought this comic book on my own and am not being paid to write about it. I just like it!)