I turn 26 today. That is my actual birthday cheesecake that my family got to celebrate with me while we were on vacation. This year has been wonderful. I feel like I’ve grown a lot this year and I’m so happy with where it’s taken me. I am comfortable and happy with who I am. And I stay that way as long as I don’t start comparing my life to everyone else’s on Facebook. (As a result, I hardly ever look at my newsfeed, so please tell me things in real life if you want me to know them.)
But that’s not the point. Staying in the moment and enjoying the process of getting where you’re going has been the point for me this year. Some things I’ve learned:
- The Wire, Buffy, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and The Sopranos later, I realized I have spent hundreds of hours watching television shows. And I love it. Battlestar Galactica and Deadwood are next.
- Make lists. Make ten thousand. Don’t be afraid to write things down you’ve already done so you can cross them off.
- This year has been the happiest year of my life (well, at least in the top 3).
- Surround yourself with beautiful things and beautiful people. Remember that the things don’t matter, but the people do.
- Get rid of clutter. In your knickknacks, in relationships, in the words you use in emails.
- Go to book club. You’ll like it.
- If it almost fits, do yourself a favor and don’t buy it. (I’m pretty sure I listed this before. It takes time to sink in.)
- I have experienced a lot of niceness on the Internet, even though I know there’s a lot of meanness out there. And I’m grateful for that.
- #fatcat is better than your cat. Sorry I’m not sorry.
- Drink more water.
- Did you guys know on an iPhone you can text gifs? I find this hilarious.
- I really don’t care how anyone pronounces “gif.”
- Accept that you will never be a morning person.
- Invest in a good dry shampoo (right now I’m using Oscar Blandi).
- I used to be too cool for high SPF. I have thankfully changed my ways.
- Being a maid of honor is super fun. But maybe just because the bride is one of my favorite people on the planet.
- Project life has been a really fun way to document the greatness of 2013 so far. I’d like to keep it up.
- I have a thing for avocados.
- I’ve been trying to keep a good attitude. Sometimes I am still a brat. I need to keep working on this one.
- I am so, so thankful for my family. They are fun, supportive, lovely people and we are growing by one this year!
- Ask for what you want. I have been consistently surprised at how often this works out.
- My friends are the best. Like, the best. I know this because I was nervous about planning a bachelorette weekend and each one of them told me I was a good planner in a subtle but coordinated kindness attack. I appreciate that and I appreciate you guys.
- I will never get the number of things I’ve learned to match up with how many years I am turning. See last year’s list here.
Happy birthday! I like that you got a cheesecake – yum!
And that’s a good list 🙂